Monday, February 15, 2010

Glass blowing with a side of IMHO...

On Saturday the three of us went over the bridge to Berkeley. The daytime excursion consisted of a stop at Ikea for some lamps and other small necessities for the new house.

Of course we also stopped off at Scrapbook Territory for a little shopping therapy! I love that store...and so does Carter. They have DOGS that live in the store. Okay, I don't know if they LIVE there, but they are always there when the store is open. There are several, and Carter just loves to go in. Often he gets to give them a little cuddle, and sometimes even a treat. I think it's cute, because the dogs always seem happy to see Carter too (probably any kids). They love the attention!
The real trip over the bridge was for this event though. A glass blowing demonstration and Pig Roast held annually by a company that Exelixis hires to fix it's damaged glassware. Steve thought it sounded fun so we decided to go check out the free event.

It was very crowded, but yes - interesting. Carter and I watched the glass blowers for a long time. What this one is making is a tiny glass elephant - and his ears are a different color. It was amazing to watch the detail (and Carter liked the fire!)
They also had lots of great food and yes...even a roasted pig. This photo is a good example of why I'm 90% vegetarian...and why I don't ever eat Ham! YUCK! LOL So, onto my IMHO (in my humble opinion) rant. Kids and parents who don't watch them. You know, you'd think in a room full of glassware, fire, and a recently roasted pig - who was still smoking away, people would watch their kids. There were kids running everywhere - mostly of the 8-10year old variety. My goodness, I was worried for them...with a side of great annoyance at their parents for just ditching them. You can see a gaggle of girls in the second photo. They were all pushing and shoving behind the poor glassblower all asking over and over again who was going to get the elephant. Personally, I hope none of them got it (we didn't stay to see!).
Overall though, fun and cool to see!


1 comment: