Thursday, March 10, 2011

My street today...

Today was both an exciting day, boring day...well, and it was also very unproductive! LOL. I spent the entire morning and part of the afternoon literally looking out the window. Why you, ask? Because I was confined to my home by the SSFFD.

Back story - for about a week now there has been a large red garbage can on the other side of the street (across from our house). I've noticed it, since it's definitely an eyesore. However, since cars were parking by it every day, and the neighbors who lived next to it, seemed to leave it alone, I figured it was theirs.

Apparently not. I'm not sure if the city came by to do maitenence or someone complained about it. About 10am though I noticed a city truck come by and park behind it. Shortly after, the firetrucks started showing up - complete with sirens and lights (which in it's own is kind of impressive since I could WALK to the firehouse in about 2 minutes from my house! LOL) Several trucks arrived, a hazard truck, and a ton of emergency personnel. I decided it was time to go out and "check the mail". I was immediately ushered back into the house. When I asked what was going on, I was told the garbage can was suspicious, and I should stay inside until it was all over. They went about completely blocking off the street with both red fire tape and yellow caution tape.

For about an hour, nothing happened. Yes, I was watching! LOL. More people gathered at the end of the street, and they got out hoses, and the hazard suits went on. After about 90mins they finally went in and checked the contents. I had the window open (shh!) and could hear them radioing back - sounded like the ph was 7 (neutral I think) and overall it must have just been dirt, water, and other harmless crap.

By about 1:30 they started flushing the street with water, and packing up. Considering this all started at 10am though, quite the commotion! I was a little worried that I'd be stuck here and not able to pick up Carter. He normally gets out at 12:30 and I leave about 12:10 - just when they were sampling. Luckily he could stay in aftercare today. Now at almost 2pm I am on my way to go get him. Safety issues aside, I am kinda sad he missed it. He would have LOVED watching out his window!

Here are a few pics...

Firetucks and caution/red tape going up


Laying out the hoses...

Sample testing

Deemed safe (I assume), so everyone comes to check it out

Steve's car and the street get a good washing! They poured sand around the drains...not sure if they dumped the bucket, or what - it's between the blue truck and the white van.
Washing our car (the blue one on the end)
Interesting day!

2 comments:

  1. At least you got a free carwash out of the deal! :)

    ReplyDelete