Sunday, April 24, 2011

Playgroup!

Since we've moved to the Bay Area, Carter and I attend a Friday morning playgroup most weeks. This Friday was a special one! An egg hunt! Carter was soooo excited to go!

Since he got his braces on Wednesday afternoon he is supposed to wear them a few hours a day only to get used to them. I tried to convince him that the egg hunt would be a good time to wear them that day. He was very sad and serious though when he told me "but mom, I can't run as fast in my braces, and all the kids will get the eggs before me!!". Knowing this was probably true, I relented and he didn't have to wear them for the hunt. He had a great time running around the park looking for eggs.

There were a lot of kids though - some bigger, some small - only around 2. Carter was quite disappointed to find that he only got 4 eggs in the hunt, while several other kids had 10 or more. While I agree that 4 was really plenty, I have a parenting issue with this...wondering why parents don't police their kids a bit more for fairness...but whatever...

What happened next made me very happy and a little teary though. Carter saw that some kids only got one egg. He knew on his own that wasn't fair and told me he was going to share. I was sooooo pleased hearing this. What a sweetie little guy! So, I told him that was a great thing to do, and maybe he could share 2 eggs and keep 2 eggs. Well, soon enough he came back with tears brimming. He'd gotton so into sharing, he'd shared ALL his eggs away. He didn't cry, but was a little sorry with himself. I told him to remember that good things come to nice kids...and to cheer up, and he did! However, one other little girl saw he had no eggs and shared one back with him. So sweet!





So, Carter came home with only one egg - and was okay with that. He had a great time playing and running with his friends. He was extra suprised when we got home, and Mommy showed him a small Star Wars toy she'd had squirreled away for a special day. I think he deserved it!

1 comment:

  1. I got a little teary too! He is really such a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete