There's a little insight into my life these past few months.
Generally I don't get super personal on my blog. I use it for showing off my scrapbooking layouts, perhaps for showcasing giveaways or fun finds. Of course there is lots of Carter cuteness to share as well. However, I have avoided this subject for the past while. Not sure why overall - because, hey, it's my blog - and I can say whatever I want on it, right?!
So, needless to say, I haven't been feeling that well. In early 2009 I was hospitalized for 2 weeks - gallbladder induced pancreatisis. Believe me, you NEVER want to get this, and if you do...don't ignore the symptoms for a week so it gets really reallllly bad. I did. I recovered nicely overall, but still kept feeling crappy. I just chalked it up to the healing process.
By early 2010 however, it was obvious it wasn't really healing and I went in for another full physical, blood tests, ultrasounds and more. I got referred to a gyno who specializes in "weird" stuff and had a verrrrry lovely uterine biopsy. I'd always known, since I had Carter that my reproductive system was weak to say the least. However, the results of many more tests not only showed that my uterus was *shot*, my ovaries and cervix were also diseased. Fibroids, adhesions, clots, pre-cancerous cells, severe endometriosis, and adenomyosis. After a few trials of meds and treatments it showed my only real hope to feel really good again was to have everything removed.
And I did - just yesterday! I ended up having to go see a super specialist to have the surgery done (my uterus was so enlarged it measured at 20weeks pregnant yesterday!), and I'm glad I did. I ended up coming out of it all quite well! Now I'm down to a few weeks recovery, and hopefully I'll be back to my old self by Christmas!
I'm looking forward to all those pill bottles going away, and feeling back to my old self!
In this whole process I've learned a few things. First and foremost, respect your body and your health. It can go downhill so fast. I am happy to learn that I've avoided cancer through this surgery. I'm happy that I'll no longer spend weeks of the month bleeding or cramping. It's rough! I've also learned that people say what they think when it comes to your reproductive health. It wasn't an easy choice to just make. I am shocked actually at how many comments I've received from both friends and strangers on this. More often than not I get "well, you can adopt". Yeah, that's not a helpful thing to say. I know it's said with love, but believe me, it's not what's on our minds right now. I've also had a lot of comments on how I'll feel after - not being a "real" woman anymore. Also, not helpful. Just a gesture of friendship is all I need - not endless advice. ;)
I hope that having this personal experience will help me be a better friend the next time someone I know goes though something big. :)
I've also really found out who my real friends are. The calls, emails, facebook posts, small gifts, babysitting offers, and meals coming to our family are a real lifesaver and I appreciate it so much. I really know who I can count on and it means a ton!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



So pleased to see you blogging Victoria and that the surgery went well.
ReplyDeleteSending hugs and sparkles for your recovery.
Sue xx
Nice post - very honest.
ReplyDeleteIf you need a thing, I am just up the street!
xoxoxox
wow Victoria! I had no idea...I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. I'm glad you listened to your body and stuck with it...I know first hand how important that is. I hope you have a nice and quick recovery and can get back to doing all the things you love.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, I had no idea you were going through so much the last year! It sounds like you really made the right decision for you. I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope that you're soon feeling like yourself again. :) You're awesome - wish I was closer and could help you out more.
ReplyDeleteWhat a tough journey Victoria! Know that even though we live quite a bit a part that I'm thinking of you and your family. I hope that you're back to feeling great in no time!
ReplyDeleteOMG! Victoria I did not know that you were going through this. This must have been a very scary and difficult time/choice for you. I am happy to hear that you are on the mend though. Please know that you are in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete